The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is an independent think tank that delivers the knowledge to act. Our mission is to promote human development and environmental sustainability. Our big-picture view allows us to address the root causes of some of the greatest challenges facing our planet today—ecological destruction, social exclusion, unfair laws and economic rules, a changing climate. With offices in Winnipeg, Geneva, Ottawa, Toronto and New York, our work affects lives in nearly 100 countries. We are currently looking for a Corporate Secretary in our Winnipeg office.
The Corporate Secretary provides a range of support as the first point of contact with the Board of Directors and CEO in the administration of important corporate and governance matters. The Corporate Secretary reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer but has a strong working relationship with the board and Managing Director. He or she will also assist the Managing Director with administrative duties.
The Corporate Secretary will coordinate and attend board meetings, take meeting minutes, and advise on by-laws and expenditure reconciliation. He or she will be responsible for prioritizing and managing their own workload and schedule. This includes resolving conflicts of priorities in consultation with other team members and identifying solutions when deadlines might not be met.
- Providing support to the President of IISD and IISD-Europe.
- Running meetings according to rules of order with the Board Chair, coordinating board meetings, creating meeting agendas and packaging meeting materials for the IISD board and its committees (Executive, Nominating & Governance, Audit, etc.).
- Taking minutes that reflect the quality of the deliberations, following up on action items to ensure completion and accurately recording the decisions made.
- Serving as a governance coach or advisor to the board on their processes.
- Insuring that policy decisions made at board meetings are added to the policy manual.
- Reviewing the organization’s by-laws and noting possible changes to be introduced.
- Keeping up to date with current IISD policies in areas related to project delivery, expenditure management/control and records management.
- Coordinating board member orientations as required, possibly including new staff introductions, facilities overviews and remote introductions to Intranet features.
- Assisting the Managing Director with the coordination of inbox, calendar, travel, and expenses.
- Understanding corporate information systems, including Intranet, Bamboo HR services, Salesforce for proposal and stakeholder/marketing tracking.
- Assisting in the compilation and formatting of program documents, including proposals and the like.
- Maintaining an effective and reliable filing system as outlined in the records management policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4+ years of experience in a project administrative and operational support role
- Degree/diploma in administration or equivalent
- Proven experience taking minutes that reflect the quality of the deliberations and accurately records the decisions made
- Familiarity with board norms and by-law structure
- Ability to type 55+ words per minute
- Experience using a board portal an asset
- Experience supporting senior staff administratively including emails, calendar, travel and expenses
- Strong organizational and planning skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks ranging in demand while working under tight deadlines
- Advanced language skills in English
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills
- Knowledge of international development an asset
- The position may require occasional travel within Canada
- Must be currently eligible to work in Canada
The contract is for a full-time term position in our Winnipeg office with a duration of September 30, 2019, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates advancing in the recruitment will be contacted. You will be notified when the posting has closed.
Salary: $55,000 - $63,000 CAD
Deadline: Thursday, July 19, 12PM
Applications only accepted at: https://iisd.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=116